Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Early Impressions of Japan

Before coming to Japan, I had the impression that everything in Japan was modernized due to technological advancement that has been fostered by globalization. I thought that it would be hard to find traditional things in everyday life. After arriving in Japan and adjusting to our new life at the dorm, the school made a day field trip to Kyoto. On our way, I was amazed at the complex train system and it seemed impossible to figure out how to get from one place to another place. I noticed that almost all the girls wore very modern clothes and that they were all on their cell phones, which allowed them to communicate massive web of people instantaneously. As we made our way to the temples, I noticed the narrow road trying to fit the cars, the motorcycles, the bicycles, the trucks, the pedestrians etc. I think this was the first time I noticed how crowded Japan really was. As we were walking to the temple, I noticed this woman wearing a traditional outfit standing in the middle of a very modernized atmosphere. I did not want to be rude and so I politely asked her if I could take her picture and she nodded yes without hesitating. What I really like about this picture is the kindness and the gentleness that you can see from her pose. I like this picture because it reminds me of the traditional Japanese culture that I have read about from the classes that I have taken in college and that I have seen being portrayed in American Hollywood films. This picture is great because it represents the modern and the traditional culture simultaneously.

1 comment:

  1. This blog assignment is being called a "two frame story" so I would like you to have two photos that illustrate one particular theme or subject rather than two separate observations. We are concerned with quality over quantity here.

    I really like this picture a lot, for many of the same reasons that you mention. I like how you asked permission as well. This is especially important in the Japanese public and we will begin to discuss this in more detail in class on Monday.

    "This picture is great because it represents the modern and the traditional culture simultaneously." is an interesting statement and I would like to read more explanation about it.

    ReplyDelete